Cognitive learning theory has always
focused on how students process information and the best educational strategies
educators can use to promote student understanding of material. I incorporate
various technologies to highlight the diverse cognitive needs of individual
students and promote knowledge that is easily accessible and promoted to
long-term memory to be continually referenced as new knowledge which is
scaffolded with already learned material. As educators we should stay
continually abreast of current and new technological innovations as they can
assist in greater acquisition of knowledge by the student and create more
unique and creative learning experiences. It is up to us to vary our teaching
strategies with the understanding that individual students process information
in unique ways.
My
students are no longer satisfied with learning through pencil, paper, and a
book. They are surrounded by a world of increasing technology. Since that is
the case, the job of an educator is to bring those same experiences into the
classroom. Technology is the key to the cognitive learning theory of helping
students create long term memory in retaining subject content. Our goal as
educators is to change short term memory into long term memory. We want
students to be able to easily remember what they have learned.
Using
cues, questions and advanced organizers will help this connection to take
place. Graphic organizers are something that we use daily in the classroom.
There is not a better way to organize our thoughts or ideas during a lesson.
These organizers lend themselves to technology use. Often times we create a
graphic organizer through the use of Microsoft Word or Excel Spreadsheets. This
goes hand in hand with summarizing and note taking as well. Students are
summarizing information as they use a graphic organizer. This is note taking,
without just copying something off of the board. These organizers “focus on
enhancing students’ ability to retrieve, use, and organize information about a
topic”
Students can process limited amounts
of information at any given point in a class, but that information is far more
likely to be retained in long-term memory if the information begin presented is
paired with a unique experience or relies upon multiple sensory inputs during
presentation Organizing
and brainstorming software, such as Kidspiration, allow learners to add and
organize information as it is being introduced. This supports the idea
that declarative facts are stored in long-term memory, and that long-term
memory is improved by the connections made between ideas. If data is not
organized going in, retrieval will be more difficult or impossible. Using
organizing software also can give that visual picture. Virtual field trips
takes this one step further and gives the episodic experience that helps with
long-term memory. If students are able to view important historical
places online or take a live tour of a museum, that long-term memory will be
strengthened and that concept will have a much more chance of being recalled at
a later date.
As
a multiple core teacher, I was interested in how I could apply cognitive
learning theory to my different classes, specifically math. In reflecting
on my own teaching, I realized that thinking through a problem out loud, which
I do frequently with my students, supports the creation of an episodic memory
for my students, especially if I am lucky enough to give my out-loud
thought process the right amount of humor and able to make it
interesting. This is an important realization as I think it is important
to realize some of these techniques are already being practiced in class, and
now I have reason and theory behind them.
Very good read. You have a lot of good ideas of what students can use to interest them.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very interesting viewpoint. I am eager to get the website for Kidspiration. I tried to look it up, but I am not sure which one to view. I totally agree with you, with using technology and after reading your blog, I do some of the same things with my students, but never really thought about how to put it into words.
ReplyDelete